Is it unwise to go back again to university?

ascfgdxz

I personally wouldn't step foot in college if someone had a gun to my back.  Have you spoken to others who have taken these exams?  They could let you in on what these exams require you to know.   Why not spend one year eating and breathing nothing but your field of study?  That's dedicating all of your time to absorbing everything and even if you have to take those extra exams, you'll be all the better for it because you had to go through learning it on your own.  You'd certainly fly past the others who didn't have to acquire that skill as hard.  

Well, unlike the last guy, you actually have a dilemma.

Either go do the legally required thing and spend the time learning what you must (I will be generous and assume you've looked up how you could learn the stuff without the college time and realized it's literally the only way) OR chase a different dream. If you're not a genius, and are really not confident about your ability to self-teach and do the exams, then I suggest you stick with the traditional route. However if neither are really appealing then maybe you ought to consider a different dream.

I think all your options sound bad since they involve having to stick to the mainstream and depend on the good will of strangers, but you're not totally powerless and I'm sure if you push on, do the work, and kiss up to whomever you must, you'll get what you want eventually.

However if you were me (and I'm a guy who likes to blaze his own trail, I'm 20 btw, and don't like the idea of sticking to the mainstream in a system I routinely hear bad things about from people I respect) I'd change course and pursue something else. OR, somehow, find a different way of doing it. Like if you wanted to be a teacher, I'd recommend opening up a YouTube channel...

I'm sorry that I have limited knowledge about land surveying so I can't offer any suggestions.

However you might be a bit flighty and perhaps out to stick with "natural science" until you learn to like it again. After all, something got you into it in the first place and I think it's a damn shame you spent all that time and money only to abandon it... I think, perhaps most of all, you ought to simply stick with your original "natural science" career (I "" it because I don't really know what "natural science" actually means compared to, say, biology or something. Also I'm scientifically illiterate). 

Hi @ascfgdxz

9 hours ago, ascfgdxz said:

I want to start my own land surveying business in Canada. To do so, you need a legal authorization from the province and in order to do that, you must pass around 10 exams that are incredibly difficult, along with having a mentor, having certain time of experience etc. 

This appears to be a list of requirements for a goal that's clear in your mind.

I suppose you also have a strong incentive as to why you think it's something that you want to do. (because you know(?) it will make you happy compared to other things that won't, other things you could be doing but are less preferable ... like a surf instructor...etc. And you also possess the skillets necessary because you have looked into(?) how professionals in that field work, collected information from people with empirical/tangible experience... etc)

If you do, I suggest you emulate those that are successful in that field. If that means getting more papers from the government, sinking a large sum of money + opportunity cost (time) into it, well that's the cost of this particular goal and you can be either ready/not to pay the cost of this particular goal.

After making that decision, you only need to make it happen, just do what is required of you. Easy to stop thinking and just act knowing why you do things.

It's up to you how you go about materialising it. Some people who are more risk averse might prefer to do as the majority, go for what has the highest utility, return on invested resources, safety nets. Others might be more into trying less common routes... you only need to know yourself and your true limitations to assess that.

ie. - less conscientious people benefit more from a structured course than those that are independently capable to study more on their own, advance faster on their own.

I hope that helps.

Barnsley

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.