Starting a forum.

RichardY

Was wondering if anyone has some advice on starting a forum? How would someone go about designing one? What would existing templates cost?

Looking for interactivity. More along the lines of a lateral focus, than a top down one.

Would prefer an Aristocratic focus than a Meritocratic. Some form of record so, weak posts down or upvotes can be referenced. To help people improve and pursue better learning and mutual help, rather than degrading into a slugging match.

Self-knowledge, Philosophy, Homesteading but a focus on practice, mostly for my own interest.

Post whatever you like, profanity allowed. Except in cases of violence.

5 hours ago, ticketyboo said:

New category on reddit? New facebook group? The main problem will be getting engaging content and attracting the kind of people that will produce engaging content in your forum.

I've looked at Reddit, I don't know how anyone even uses it, the formatting is awful imo. How can such a site be so popular. Facebook, don't like how it favours you always being signed in and knowing what everyone is doing, has had for breakfast, is in a relationship with what ever.

Yeah I guess that's the thing, but I'm aiming at quality over quantity. Looking at someone like Tom Woods, his YouTube views always seem between 2,000 to 4,000 views.

Maybe if I at least try and make it accessible, can pull a few people from generic philosophy forums which are garbage. Although I guess the YouTube or podcast things is a way to try and pull an audience. Mostly would like to provide enough value to at least cover the forum costs, which I'm guessing are negligible, although not insignificant. 

More about getting a base to work from. I don't want to be restrained by arbitrary terms & conditions. I suppose if you paid someone £5,000 or much much less, you could get a forum and domain pretty much there and then. Looking for a overall degree of control. Systematized Chaos. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.