On My Journey To Happiness

Melesina

The study of rational and empirical philosophy has been the beginning of a new stage in my life. I was first introduced to FDR last year, at which time I considered myself to be a libertarian with an agnostic viewpoint of religion, though I was already leaning toward atheism. Over the past several months, I attempted reading a couple of Stefan Molyneux’s books; however it wasn’t until I tried the audiobook versions that I was successful in covering the material in ‘On Truth’, ‘RTR’, and ‘UPB’. After completing those, I wholeheartedly dove into the podcasts and though I have a lot of catching up to do to get caught up to the latest podcasts, it’s a daily endeavor. I find myself wishing that I’d heard of FDR and Stefan Molyneux back in the early years of his podcasts, so that I could have progressed along with others who have been delving into self-knowledge for far longer than I have; it is such a progressive process. I have to admit that I find posting to any FDR forums to be daunting because I feel like I need to know absolutely what I’m talking about before I participate. Having attended lectures at Fermilab, it’s the same feeling I get when I walk into the auditorium to find a seat, knowing how little I know about the topic to be presented, while surrounded by scientific minds that have been schooled in and experimented with such topics for their entire careers. My enthusiasm for continuing this path is, fortunately, not daunted. I look forward to being a part of this community.

Hello and welcome!

I have to admit that I find posting to any FDR forums to be daunting because I feel like I need to know absolutely what I’m talking about before I participate. Having attended lectures at Fermilab, it’s the same feeling I get when I walk into the auditorium to find a seat, knowing how little I know about the topic to be presented, while surrounded by scientific minds that have been schooled in and experimented with such topics for their entire careers. My enthusiasm for continuing this path is, fortunately, not daunted. I look forward to being a part of this community.

I would say you do not need to know anything before positing on the forums. In fact, everyone doesn't know far more than they do know. In fact, you often delve into a topic only to find that you can never know anything about it.

Often, the goal is to learn and challenge ideas. As long as you have a desire to learn and agree to a methodology of science (when logic is applicable) then you can share the knowledge that you have and learn knowledge that others have.

In fact, I could think of nothing more boring than participating in a conversation or listening to a lecture where I don't gain anything and already know all of the answers. Ex: A lecture teaching people that 2+2=4 sounds painful to sit through.

Wesley,

Thank you for the welcome.

My use of the word 'absolute' was probably too strong, as it denotes being conclusive. I realize I can't ever know everything.

In Stef's introduction to FDR in the Guidelines, he states "If you do not have any experience or training in logic or science, then it is very important to browse for a while before plunging into a debate. Think of Freedomain Radio as a class for advanced students of physics — if you do not understand the scientific method and some contemporary theories before joining a debate, you will almost certainly derail it, and it will not be much fun for you or others."

I thought about the introduction further and also your reply, and I've learned something new! Correct me if I'm wrong in my logic, but I think what I've realized that both you and Stef are saying is that it's not so much about being well versed in a particular topic, but rather to understand the methodology used to discuss it.

I'm very curious, love to learn, and doing research is a favorite pastime. Listening to Stef's material, and reading the forums, is enlightening and beneficial as I progress on this journey. I look forward to learning more about myself and finding my path to more active participation in the FDR community. Thank you, Wesley, for sharing your knowledge. :)

The methodology is the most important part. If people cannot agree as to how a problem can be solved, then it is as meaningless to debate as it is to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (Though plenty of people have done that).

Yes, some basic theory is needed, but I can almost guarantee that you have at least a decent lay of the land if you have been listening to these topics for a year or so and listened to the audiobooks. You can give yourself some credit for the work you have done. ;)

Finally, just try to recognize when you do not know things and ask questions and be curious. Especially in self-knowledge things can be less scientific and more about feelings and experiences, so the experiences and advice of others can get you through a "sticking point" where you cannot figure something out or can't seem to make a connection. In general, I find people on the boards to be very willing to explain things or define terms as long as there is not an overly heated debate going on, and especially when it comes to the self-knowledge area. 

I look forward to seeing you around!

People who come here to post "you're wrong!" in order to relieve themselves of fear and anger might want to slow down and read for a while. (Not that I've never been guilty.) It's probably those very people that you fear, and you're not being one of them, so welcome! Kind people will not expect you to know everything. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.