Is libertarian monk a thing?

LifeIsBrief

Hello Freedomainradio,

My name is Dave, and I'm not quite sure how to introduce myself... If libertarian monk is a thing, I would like to suggest that I'm that. The fact that I have to ask a community, if the thing I am, is a thing, however, probably suggests, that I'm not so confident in what sort of thing I am. Luckily, I am confident that I'm not a fan of communities, so I don't very much care what I'm labeled by one... probably babbling idiot.I was definitely a monk first, but I'm a suburban American, so monk might be the single most useless thing you could possibly designate yourself. I guess I'm a laborer if you really want to be a dick about it. Despite that, what do I think a libertarian monk is?Well, it's an atheist, with profound respect for Buddhist meditation, who at about 21 realized that any form of contribution to government, including a net contribution to the tax structure, was absurdly violent, and thus inherently evil. He then had to live in the world for the next 9 years.A few years into this journey I was exposed to Ayn Rand and basically said "Oh yeah, that's a pretty good explanation of why I think you're all violent psychopaths I have no interest in working with". I was also exposed to the idea that what I am doing could be classified as Going Galt... more accurately, I was going Hugh Akston, the professor of philosophy turned roadside diner chef. I believe the most moral thing that a human being can do under a corrupt system, is absolutely nothing. I also think that nothing terrifies our leaders more.I don't do nothing, I simply intentionally contribute the bare minimum to survive, and thus avoid military taxes by being in "poverty".  I think that if the very first requirement we make of the successful is that they kill Muslim children... Well then you've made it illegal to be a successful human being.Hopefully we'll enjoy interacting with one another. Life is brief.

Edit: I just wanted to point out that the "Oh yeah, that's a pretty good explanation of why I think you're all violent psychopaths I have no interest in working with", is my feeling regarding traditional statists (which surround me in greater Los Angeles), and thus applies to very few people on this forum. I would enjoy working for/with anyone of a classical liberal, libertarian, or anarcho capitalist mindset. 

Finally, as someone relatively young, single, and childless, I have the luxury of taking this hardline stance against the tax structure, but I have nothing but love and respect for people with families who contribute to it out of necessity.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not so confident in what sort of thing I am

Please don't take it the wrong way, but I find that beautiful. It's extremely rare for anyone to search for a way to identify themselves other than picking up and applying the random labels that they find lying around. It's very cool that you are searching that out and trying to figure out your own answer. If you want to be a Libertarian monk, do it! I don't think anyone is going to stop you. 

If I could ask, why do you think you say that you're not a fan of communities?

I love to write, debate, and share ideas with people... but I don't enjoy the power that a community can have over its members, and I fear ending up in an echo chamber.  I'm skeptical of communities generally, but when I find one with that odd combination of open minded, but critical, I can't get enough.  So far, so good at FDR.  I just meant, that I refuse to become dependent on a community for my identity.  I think anarcho capitalism is the best way for a society to be organized, but I'm not an anarcho capitalist... I'm a Dave :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.