Konichiwa from Japan!

Hello all! My name is Shea and I'm a Texan who has lived in Japan for nearly six years. I found out about Stefan and FDR via his first appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast some months ago. I've been listening to FDR ever since. I've just now gotten to joining the forums. I'm still learning a lot and playing catch up with a lot of the materials, but I just wanted to introduce myself!

I teach kindergarten aged kids and I find the information on peaceful parenting techniques and teaching kids to think rationally to be of particular interest. I've been actively implementing it to the kids I teach and it's been great! 

I've also always had an interest in philosophy and discussion. One of my goals is to become better at presenting and defending my ideas to others. 

Shea

I feel lucky to be in the teaching environment I'm in. Obviously, the school has rules, and Japanese society in general is very strict with adhering to cultural standards. Japan is very group oriented (coming from a homogenous society). But I operate within that by talking to my students as if they are human beings and my job is to bring an international perspective to them so I'm allowed a lot of freedom in how I teach them. The good thing about Japanese culture when it comes to children is overall the the concept of striking a child in any way (or striking other human beings really) is just not acceptable. It's not really even on their radar which is refreshing.  

Thank you for the welcome!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.