Almost A Year Later

acabobie

I created an account on this website July of last year and hardly touched it. Recently I have been feeling like I wanted to become more involved in the FDR community. I have been listening to the show for over a year and now I am 20, but ever so much more enlightened philosophically than the age relative to my peers. I hope to have good conversations here with you all! :happy:

Welcome to the community acabobie.

This is the most rational place on the net.

I also resisted joining the 'FDR cult' as haters claim, but eventually I grew tired of hoping failed relationships would somehow work out or that people have the magical capability to change without delving deep into self knowledge.

I have had excellent conversations that I never thought possible here and I know you will too.  :D

Well welcome.  I just got an account about a month ago and I have not yet used it until today.  And I laughed when I read you comment on being more enlightened philosophically.  At the age of 20 nobody that I have ever met in my life knows anything about philosophy.  At age 27 I feel like I am already more intelligent when it comes to philosophy(and most topics) then 99% of the world.  Keep up your reading and studying it is well worth it.  While most people will not understand or care about philosophy it will help you in your every day life by increasing your understanding of everything.  I specifically use Socrates/Plato's mantra of questions everything daily as well as “The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.” by Confucius.  Life is way to short to let people lie to you and try to cover up lies with miss vocabulary.  Philosophy has released me from lies and twisted logic given to me from school and society.  I never want to go back to the way I was.

On a side note I am working with a younger guy (21) who just graduated college.  I tried to talk about philosophy with him and he told me he hated it and thought is was boring.  I further questioned him and he basically said that philosophy was boring, pointless, and meaningless and he could not understand why anyone would like it.  Depressingly I could not convincing him otherwise he may be lost forever.  I am glad to see your not like most people your age.

Thanks you two!

Philschneider, that is what I was talking about! Not many of the people I meet at my university has much of an interest in philosophy. So what I am comparing myself to is like comparing myself in an arm wrestling competition with elementary school kids. Lookie here, I am stronger! They spend time more on going to parties where they can make the horizon seem vertical while standing up looking straight, getting in bed with college chicks, video games (many of them sports), and also talking about sports. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.