Greetings from Chicago

R.W.

Hey everybody, I joined the forum a few days ago, and thought it was about time I got around to introducing myself.

My name is Ryan, and I'm a 26 year old freelance animator from Chicago. Yep, I make animated cartoons for a living - although making a living wage from it has been difficult. I've supported myself with it for 2 years but I've always been living month to month which has been quite draining. I've had little social life to speak of, and having limited time and money does little to help that I already have pretty severe social anxiety. Currently my plan is to move back in with my parents when my lease expires at the end of August, which is something I'm very proud of, but at least be able to start saving up to move to LA. Once there, I hope to get better paying and more stable (at least comparatively speaking,) job as an animator, as well as be around other people for a change and not always have to work by myself. Maybe I can make connections that will help me achieve my goals.

I only just discovered FDR about a month ago but I'm already a huge fan. I've always been enormously interested what makes people the way they are, as individuals and as a society - and especially what we can do to make the world better. I think Stefan is doing god's work by rationally unraveling so many controversial and culturally charged issues, and it is my ultimate goal to do the same. In particular, I've thought about how to bring philosophical messages to the general public through fictional storytelling.  My dream is to make animated films that emotionally resonate with people and bring unrecognized truths to the forefront. Over the years I have developed many ideas for these films, but beyond the monetary and time constraints I have, I believe the main thing preventing me from actually being able to execute is a lack of self knowledge.

There's a lot more I could say about this, but I'll leave it at that for now. I've already attended my first meetup group last weekend, and I plan on attending again. I don't know how much I'll end up posting here - but nice to meet you all!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.