Howdy from Dallas, Texas!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Tree Frog,

I can relate to that lone-truth-seeker feeling. I hope you find/found friends to the share the journey with.  :happy:

What brought/brings you to South and Central America?

I really enjoy the ecology of the rain forest. I also like to explore the ancient cultures that used to inhabit that region. The Maya in particular. Last spring I was able to travel to a Mayan village in the Yucatan and learn about their culture. It was quite fascinating to see how similar their religion was to Christianity (They even use the cross as their holy symbol). It makes me wonder how these core beliefs may had been dispersed through the early parts of human migration. Perhaps the world has always been somewhat globalized. 

Perhaps the world has always been somewhat globalized. 

Archaeologists are unearthing evidence to that effect.  :turned:

Ah, the tree frog profile pic makes more sense now.

One thing that fascinates me about the Maya in particular is the acoustics of Chichen Itza and the echoes of a quetzal bird from the steps.  :D I also enjoy reading about cities like Tenochtitlan by the Aztecs and how they were able to support a larger population than many cities in Europe at the time (though I'm not too keen on the human sacrifice...).

Are these expeditions something you're making into a career (while working at the doctors office), or a hobby you're passionate about (or both...)?

Are these expeditions something you're making into a career (while working at the doctors office), or a hobby you're passionate about (or both...)?

Man, I'm just 16. I have some time to think. The whole doctors office gig is to make some money this summer. The bureaucracy of health care is something I do not wish to pursue. In the future however I do plan to take more trips across the world with my own family. But not as tourists. The best way to experience a country in my opinion is stay close to where the people live and eat what the people eat. Travel is a wonderful thing.

Of course man, take your time.  :thumbsup:

Travel, yes! Another thing we have in common. I also agree about opening up to the unique perspective of a place and people, as well as having a healthy and earnest appetite to learn. Travel has positive potential for educational experiences and expansion of empathy.

Food, Travel, History: the holy trinity.  ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.