Once freedom is achieved, what else is there to fight for?

NameName

Most of us are fighting for a free society, whether it's through making Podcasts, Real Time Relationships, Peaceful parenting or something else. Freedom most likely won't be achieved in our lifetimes.

But when freedom is achieved, an almost completely, true, voluntary society, what would people be fighting for? What will drive people?

When freedom is achieved, what is there to do next?

Thanks!

Basically keep it up. There is always a chance that people could regress. I also think if we are talking about humanity thousands of years into the future then the chance of cataclysmic natural phenomenon will probably go up. So volcanic activity, meteors, giant robots, etc.

I would rather not have a fight drivin mechanism,

if there is nothing else to fight for, great, means I can actually begin to focus on other things that matter to me, 

Improving my livelihood

improving my self,

there is no short of other objectives! 

Work on replacing the benefits that came from oppressive regimes and violence, a classic example is the boost in technology that the cold war gave us, in a free and non aggressive society with no pressure of death around every corner I think we'll lose some of the motivation to improve and finding a way to replace motivation is important, the future of the human race may one day depend on us having enough progress to continue our own survival.

Work on replacing the benefits that came from oppressive regimes and violence, a classic example is the boost in technology that the cold war gave us, in a free and non aggressive society with no pressure of death around every corner I think we'll lose some of the motivation to improve and finding a way to replace motivation is important, the future of the human race may one day depend on us having enough progress to continue our own survival.

I think that technological improvement can come faster when a human being wants to improve something that they have interest in, rather than having the threat of life. The same reason I do not believe the cold war gave us anything. 

Having the threat of life doesn't improve technology in my mind, it creates short term "How can we solve this problem RIGHT now " solutions, which are not real solutions, they are what can I do with duck tape(not literally). This also extends to say that, there was no real progress made during the cold war, what we saw (in my opinion) is previous RnD, completing it self, maybe acceleration towards completion since politicians saw something they liked, and increased funds during war time, KNOWING that it will be complete. Another argument to support this is that, we never really know what the military is working on right now, their tech is supposed to be 50 years a head of civilian tech. So lets say WW3 happens and we start to see some new things, this is not because WW3 innovated, its because they knew the possible scenarios that can arise and started the RnD maybe 30 years pre-scenario.

When a human being wishes to show passion towards something they are interested in, then real discoveries happen. It is only through the motivation of this passion, will you give it the time and energy necessary. 

"Once freedom is achieved"?

This isn't something you'll see in your lifetime; I don't think you'll have to worry about the "next thing."

Also, assuming "freedom" means a voluntary society where the state is to them as slavery is to us, I don't think we can really even know what that will be like. Think about how far ahead we are scientifically from the time of Newton and how much knowledge is available for humans. It would be like that, except to an even greater extent.

• Upvote 1

"fighting for freedom" to me seems like "beating for love" - I don't think it works that way.

If you acknowledge truth, live in reality, and employ reason, then people may disagree with you and dislike you for it, but i don't think it requires fighting.

At some point self defense is required. Are you living your whole life in a state of self defense?

• Downvote 1

I think that technological improvement can come faster when a human being wants to improve something that they have interest in, rather than having the threat of life. The same reason I do not believe the cold war gave us anything. 

Having the threat of life doesn't improve technology in my mind, it creates short term "How can we solve this problem RIGHT now " solutions, which are not real solutions, they are what can I do with duck tape(not literally). This also extends to say that, there was no real progress made during the cold war, what we saw (in my opinion) is previous RnD, completing it self, maybe acceleration towards completion since politicians saw something they liked, and increased funds during war time, KNOWING that it will be complete. Another argument to support this is that, we never really know what the military is working on right now, their tech is supposed to be 50 years a head of civilian tech. So lets say WW3 happens and we start to see some new things, this is not because WW3 innovated, its because they knew the possible scenarios that can arise and started the RnD maybe 30 years pre-scenario.

When a human being wishes to show passion towards something they are interested in, then real discoveries happen. It is only through the motivation of this passion, will you give it the time and energy necessary. 

We've seen a lot of benefits come from what were originally meant to be weapons of war, we don't always know what benefits we're going to see from technology advancements and many of the weapon advancements of WW2 and the following cold war accelerated technology all over the world, the space race is one of the best examples.

One day it might be re-purposing of weapons or weapon technology that benefit mankind in some way, being able to reach out into space and redirect or destroy objects on collision course with earth. I'm all for getting rid of war and the necessity for weapons however we need to acknowledge that the stresses of war cause positive advancements from time to time and that if we're to do away with war that we should attempt to replace them

I am not an historian. But from what I have read the military is very conservative in its ways, and military technology is the same riding the coattails of the discoveries of the free market. With the added bonus that they push resources in to immature technologies that would come about later when the market had a need. So while there are some bonuses to death dealing the hidden cost of misallocation of resources to generally unwanted products. Maybe we will need to shoot depleted uranium rounds out of a barrel at 1600m/s some time in the future but we don't know the cost of having that tech available now when there is no free market need.

Freedom is just a precondition for man's thriving, it isn't the thriving itself. Rather than "what else is there to live for", a fully voluntarist society would be a "finally, I can now live" scenario. 

The nature of freedom is that the onus would be on individuals to decide what their goals and purposes are. As for me, I would be wanting to put my life towards (among others):

- Developing the best relationships

- Maximising material wellbeing for number of hours worked

- Maximising mental wellbeing, physical health and longevity

- Space technology

- Sustainability in the environment, technology and standard of living

Then we can fight for the things people think are mainstream issues now, like if BPA is good for us, clean up oil spills, exploring out space, you know all the things people who believe we have freedom now think are the front-row issues. 

Freedom is necessary but not sufficient for the best society. Many of the pretenses used to take away freedom are not necessarily going to magically solve themselves when people have freedom, instead, people will have to work hard in their freedom to solve problems like sickness, environmental problems, helping the unfortunate, etc. As David Deutsche says, every solution reveals new problems.

Most of us are fighting for a free society, whether it's through making Podcasts, Real Time Relationships, Peaceful parenting or something else. Freedom most likely won't be achieved in our lifetimes.

But when freedom is achieved, an almost completely, true, voluntary society, what would people be fighting for? What will drive people?

Thanks!

Once we are free and thriving, we will just keep thriving.Our driving force will be our innate creativity, and our ambition to continually improve every aspect of our existence.Once we are free, we can all focus on thriving and improving at which point I feel knowledge and technology will improve at an exponential rate even greater than that of the present day. (if we were free, no body would be suppressing technology from the masses anymore)

Thanks!

First you fight for it. Then you struggle for keeping it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.