Hello from Utah

Jas660

My name is Jason and I’m 27 years old. I've been aware of FDR for nearly 3 years. The latter two of those years I've been heavily listing to podcast, gaining self-knowledge and working on overcoming negative early childhood experiences.

I thought it was about time I checked out the boards. I've never come to the boards before for primarily two reasons. The first is I used to get extreme anxiety when thinking of posting on the boards. I've been working on this for a while and now it’s more of an anxious feeling. The second is I've been lucky as I have an older brother that went on the journey of philosophy and psychology with me so I always had someone to talk with.

My hobbies besides philosophy and psychology are hiking, biking, reading, video games and snowboarding. The one great benefit of Utah is the outdoors are pretty amazing. The major downside is the people here are not the most open to new ideas.

I’m looking forward to checking out the boards, and learning more about the FDR community. 

Welcome Jas660!

I am 28 and also live in Utah (Murry).  I do a fair share of hiking myself and have to agree, Utah is a great place for outdoors.  If only we could get rid of this Mormon Borg infestation...

Ha ha ha, I've often thought of them as the "Borg". I agree Utah would be amazing if they left. Were you raised Mormon as well? 

Ha ha ha, I've often thought of them as the "Borg". I agree Utah would be amazing if they left. Were you raised Mormon as well? 

No, I wasn't raised Mormon. I grew-up down in Moab which is a less LDS, and my family has no LDS ties.

By the "as well", I assume that you were once part of the church and have subsequently left it. Kudos to you.  That must have been a really hard transformation.

One thing a lot of people that don't live in Utah don't realize is how much of a cult it really can be.  Just from knowing a lot of Utah Mormons, I understand how much the church dominates your day-to-day life, the relationships you can/can't have, the activities you do etc.  It must have felt like leaving your whole history behind.

One thing a lot of people that don't live in Utah don't realize is how much of a cult it really can be.  Just from knowing a lot of Utah Mormons, I understand how much the church dominates your day-to-day life, the relationships you can/can't have, the activities you do etc.  It must have felt like leaving your whole history behind.

I got somewhat lucky as my parents stopped attending church when I was about 10. Unfortunately it wasn’t for any logical or principled reasons. My mom more or less started her own weird little cult that still revolved around god. She just didn’t want to have the restrictions that the LDS church put on her. I think I could some up her new cult rules as “what she feels is gods will”.

The only reason why I said somewhat lucky is because I didn’t have to leave the church when I was older. I have seen how hard that is. When I first found FDR one of the people I showed it to was my cousin an active LDS member.  At first we had very fun and often lengthy discussions about the topics brought up by FDR.

When I started talking about parenting and the negative effects of raising a children religious with my family (both immediate and distant) I was quite quickly shunned. When he saw this he stopped talking about it. Then he tried to find a way to justify the church. I kept in contact with him for several months after this hoping if he we kept talking about philosophy he could work up the courage to implement it in his own life.

Unfortunately he never did. Last time I spoke with him he was still trying to justify staying in the Mormon Church. He even said he would still raise any kids he might have LDS. It saddened me as he got very angry about his own parents raising him LDS. He never did get enough courage to talk to his own parents about it. Now if he has kids hill will repeat his own torment on them.  In a lot of ways, it’s even worse has he has seen what he is really doing. 

I got somewhat lucky as my parents stopped attending church when I was about 10. Unfortunately it wasn’t for any logical or principled reasons. My mom more or less started her own weird little cult that still revolved around god. She just didn’t want to have the restrictions that the LDS church put on her. I think I could some up her new cult rules as “what she feels is gods will”.

The only reason why I said somewhat lucky is because I didn’t have to leave the church when I was older. I have seen how hard that is. When I first found FDR one of the people I showed it to was my cousin an active LDS member.  At first we had very fun and often lengthy discussions about the topics brought up by FDR.

When I started talking about parenting and the negative effects of raising a children religious with my family (both immediate and distant) I was quite quickly shunned. When he saw this he stopped talking about it. Then he tried to find a way to justify the church. I kept in contact with him for several months after this hoping if we kept talking about philosophy he could work up the courage to implement it in his own life.

Unfortunately he never did. Last time I spoke with him he was still trying to justify staying in the Mormon Church. He even said he would still raise any kids he might have LDS. It saddened me as he got very angry about his own parents raising him LDS. He never did get enough courage to talk to his own parents about it. Now if he has kids hill will repeat his own torment on them.  In a lot of ways, it’s even worse as he has seen what his actions do to children. 

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.