Hi Everybody! I am so happy to be here...

Daivd

Hi Everyone, my name is David.  My forum name will be "Daivd" as a homage to the constant misspelling that my students always give me when they try and write my name...  I appeared on one of the call in shows last month.  I hope to contribute to this community indefinitely and make many friends on here.

I am currently teaching overseas in an East Asian country.  That may or may not change early next year but I will be on the boards no matter where I go.  I am not afraid to debate a controversial topic.  I look forward to speaking with everyone!

• Upvote 2

@LionBlue.  Thanks for your support.

@ResidingOnEarth, I appreciate the misspelling.

@luxfelix.  Thanks for the thread.  I actually read it myself.  Although in my honest opinion I don't know how well it will work.  Not saying it can't, but I don't have a lot of entrepreneurial experience so I don't know if I have a lot to offer with my opinion.

@AccuTron, thanks for you interest.  I am currently in China, but I feel that at this point my experience has saturated and I am ready to move on to another country.  If I decided to stay here then there must be a career change.  Yes I do have jillions of observations.  I won't blarp them all out on this thread because there is simply too much to talk about.  But I welcome more questions from you regarding my experience.

@RoseCodex.  I am working in a small city near Shanghai at an international school.  I actually have a few Korean students.  My overall experience in a nutshell would be that I learned a lot about myself, failed a lot, and I have slowly and painfully learned how to differentiate between good people and bad.  Although I am very sure that is an education I will be engaged in all throughout my life.

what about the similarities/differences between East Asian, and your native (American?) culture and approach to education?  I ask because I became disillusioned about teaching in Korea when I realized what was going on, that I was part of a system to manipulate these kids into becoming authority-pleasing automatons.

@AccuTron, thanks for you interest.  I am currently in China, but I feel that at this point my experience has saturated and I am ready to move on to another country.  If I decided to stay here then there must be a career change.  Yes I do have jillions of observations.  I won't blarp them all out on this thread because there is simply too much to talk about.  But I welcome more questions from you regarding my experience.

If your experience in China has saturated, and you are looking elsewhere, then what is it about the elsewhere that would be different?

Among the many problems to select, the one I consider the worst in Western Civ. countries -- which to an extent I'd include S. Korea and Japan -- is the Social Justice Warrior Ego.  Initiating in a primitive desire to do good, it is totally subsumed by personal ego and manipulative power brokers.  There is a strong and corrosive connection among popular media and liberal politicians.  China, as far as I know, doesn't have the same history of pampered feel-good youngsters, or media personalities who must bow to anything liberal, so maybe China isn't hostage to those particular structures.   I realize that's broad brush and vague, but does it resonate somehow?

Also, Obama is working with China's leadership (please, no tests on names!) about global warming, which is 100% fraud.  I get what "democratic countries" politicians get out of the deal, which is gigantic vote tallies.  But what would China possibly get from such nonsense?  It has to be based upon fraud, but I don't know of any possible aspect of China where that would get traction.  Are Chinese in general buying into this climate fraud?  The Chinese news sources surely aren't kissing Democratic Party USA butt.  Or are they?

@RoseCodex.  I feel that this is a question worthy of a thread in and of itself, but I will try to be as brief, succinct, and to the point as I can.  I feel that East Asian children are generally neglected severely from an emotional development point of view.  The uniqueness of the Mandarin language creates a rather vague defintion of all things and makes it easy to take the easy road out with making the amoral/moral choice on all aspects of things in life.  Generally the most popular phrase in China is "it can't be helped" people take a very passive attitude towards helping to make their own society become better.  I think that East Asian kids are book smart but lack strong initiative to take a leadership role in just about everything.  Only external stimuli such as Tribalism, Nationalism, and History/Culture related issues which they learned from books or their family will arouse a reaction based stream of communication.  This is just my opinion though.

@accutron no I don't think there is much of a social justice warrior ego in this country.  However, that does not make it better.  China can arguably be described as the direct opposite of a "social justice" archetype of society.  People here are rather offputting, condescending, and unhelpful and they intentionally do this to conform to social norms.  There is absolutely no sense of real community in this country and anything related to a term as alien as "social justice" most likely was copied from the west to make people here sound good so as to have Face which is seen as more important than virtue.  This ties in with deep, underlying causes that are bound tightly with the cultural paradigm.  That cultural paradigm is the cult of a hierarchy and conformity to a Brutal and Powerful ruling class.  The lack of pampered feel good youngsters under a brutal regime only creates apathetic, selfish, nihilistic, and broken youngsters who cannot think for themselves.  Both types of youngsters would be practically useless in a free society.  I know it sounds harsh, but I am being honest.

I may or may not have disagreements with you regarding China's pollution issues.  I myself having worked here for several years can attest to personally seeing smog blow in and settle in cities I have worked in for weeks.  Back in late 2013 in December there was a huge problem with smog in China.  Late last year and earlier this year I worked in another western province and sometimes the pollution smell would literally drift into my apartment.  However, I am certainly not on the side of environmentalists from the West nor am I saying that Obama is right to deal with China regarding this.  Obama and the "green" types of environmentalists generally have a positive view of China's economic rise and they are probably doing it for show to get China's attention.  Like some older colleague who exercises superiority in knowledge without having the achievements to back them up.  I even believe that by giving China attention on this matter without doing anything about it they are only enabling the false positive image that there is some blooming, virtuous, and up and coming country in the far east.  What the truth is IMHO is a 5 thousand year old autocracy which changes only in name and has a conquering ethos which seems to be blatantly ignored and played down by western media liberal or conservative. 

@accutron sorry I neglected the first question.  I feel that the "elsewhere" would be learning a new language, speaking to new people, and getting the feel of a different tribe would be a good thing for me.  At this point I feel that I need to put some space between where I am at and where I am going to go so I can have an environment where I can have a better future.

@accutron sorry I neglected the first question.  I feel that the "elsewhere" would be learning a new language, speaking to new people, and getting the feel of a different tribe would be a good thing for me.  At this point I feel that I need to put some space between where I am at and where I am going to go so I can have an environment where I can have a better future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.