Strike-the-root.com has an interesting new superhero

I still laugh out loud whenever I'm reminded of Stef's example from his An Introduction to Philosophy series. When trying to approach this topic, he repeatedly refers to the cop/politician as "just some guy." Of course the whole point of words like government and "war on drugs" is to conceal the fact that we're talking about PEOPLE.

The click or it ticket is a real pet peeve of mine. Mostly because of how blatant the threat is. You WILL protect yourself or we'll give you something to protect yourself from.

The past few years, the highways around where I live started putting up those electronic signs. Worthless waste of money 99% of the time. Anyways, last summer, those signs actually said something like "keep your eyes on the road." As in "look away from the road long enough to be told not to look away from the road." Dopes.

• Upvote 1

I still laugh out loud whenever I'm reminded of Stef's example from his An Introduction to Philosophy series. When trying to approach this topic, he repeatedly refers to the cop/politician as "just some guy." Of course the whole point of words like government and "war on drugs" is to conceal the fact that we're talking about PEOPLE.

The click or it ticket is a real pet peeve of mine. Mostly because of how blatant the threat is. You WILL protect yourself or we'll give you something to protect yourself from.

The past few years, the highways around where I live started putting up those electronic signs. Worthless waste of money 99% of the time. Anyways, last summer, those signs actually said something like "keep your eyes on the road." As in "look away from the road long enough to be told not to look away from the road." Dopes.

My family, despite my explanations, wonders why I flip off the portable speed detecting signs (especially the ones that flash at you as if they were taking a picture).

To their credit, the electronic signs around here generally have interesting information like comparing multiple routes to Seattle, or when there is a lane closure, or if special snow rules are in effect in the pass.

Have you guys ever seen a sign that says "Speed limit enforced by aircraft" how on earth do they propose to do that?

Radar on an F16 sitting above the highway, firing warning shots???

They observe you, take pictures or video, and call down to a waiting car down below to come pull you over, but I suspect you are being rhetorical.

Yea I was exaggerating,

I thought these signs where new, I couldn't find a purpose for such a system, other than just terrifying drivers even more.

It makes a bit more sense now that I realize this was system they used 30+ years ago. Although based on the way that guy was speaking in that video, I would say they were trying to terrify people back then too.

Yea I was exaggerating,

I thought these signs where new, I couldn't find a purpose for such a system, other than just terrifying drivers even more.

It makes a bit more sense now that I realize this was system they used 30+ years ago. Although based on the way that guy was speaking in that video, I would say they were trying to terrify people back then too.

A lot of this stuff can be traced back to the environmentally-motivated imposition of the 55mph speed limit, and the tying of federal highway funds to not only having the limit, but to assiduously enforcing it. The only good thing to come out of it is Smoky and the Bandit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.