The life of St. Julien, and his mom and pop

AccuTron

Internet History Sourcebooks Project

Preface notes:

This is not about parenting per se.  Mom and Pop are Duchess and Duke, named Emma and Geoffrey.  They adore their hunky only son Julien, as does everyone, and if he is holding a sword, stay really far away.  Emma can be either gender during the French Middle Ages, and during a rare sharing of power by two warlords, those rulers were named Geoffrey and Emma.  Julien is legend.  But hoo boy, what a legend!

Because Middle Ages Roman Catholic cultural behavior is what this is all about, it would seem that this should be under Religion.  Yet I found it to have strong literary appeal, and wish to share it as widely as possible.

I found this story about ten years ago.  It's a long read, but once I got started, I couldn't stop.  (Tease:  The forest beast with the human head gets the story rolling, resting under a tree on a hot summer day, and what it then warned, as Julien pulled back his bowstring....)

Maybe it was the time in my life, or maybe it's because this document has probably been refined over a couple of centuries, and supposed to be riveting.  Put water and food in one hand, and a scroll* wheel in the other, and there is no outside world.  (*historical pun there)

The document is a long story, designed to educate illiterate Christian masses on proper values of worship, military fealty, the lady/chivalry word that I can't think of right now, who the enemy is...the basics.  But in a very listenable form.  I can imagine clergy reading installments to peasants, who get a ripping good tale in the trade.

It is all about Good and Evil.  It is explicitly recognized that Evil rules this human world.  What does the Christian do when confronted with evil?  What are the implications and results of decisions?  This is a philosophy paper of a sort.

When it ended, I was in pain, craving more, hurt yet moved.  I paced this long room, telling myself the complex story over and over the best I could, about six times.  I was smitten.

This begs to be a movie, another The Agony and the Ecstasy.  Good director, and I want Johnny Depp as Julien.  Careers could be made on this one.  So if you know anybody in that biz....

Like a movie promo, it has:

-- mud splattered and bleeding, horse and rider in panicked flight

-- a Pope, great actor opportunity (and the correct answer is always "go fight turks in the east and all is forgiven").

-- more than one big battle scene, including Julien joining a battle in progress while dressed only in a shredded nightshirt, apres shipwreck, and armed with only a log...at first...and saving the day

-- the awful scene in the master bedroom, not enough light to see clearly, the dream serpent rising, the sword raising...Noooooo, don't do it!!!   (Still gives me chills.  Brrr.)

-- the lady of the castle who has lost her husband to battle, her honor saved by Julien's bravery (and stays that way; this era is pre-bodice ripper)

-- the stormy night, the swollen stream, and the pitiful wail of the leper (Chills here too.  Oh yeah, this scene really builds.  The boatman's hovel, the fireplace, the leper who never warms.  The leper speaks of the boatman's wife, she turns her eyes away for but a moment, and....)

-- much more 

-- popcorn in the lobby

So here's a read for a cozy fireplace on a wintry day, or if you're south of the equator, under shade with a breeze.  If you do read it, you'll find a number of places where a discussion might begin.  The idea of beggarly penitents walking to Rome, for example.  Enjoy.

Interesting read, Thanks for sharing.

Too much altruism for my liking. It least it shows YAHWEH at his best protecting his flock. (not really)

Where does it mention that "the lady of the castle lost her husband to battle" If you don't mind.

Don't forget to show this scene with Johnny Depp on the promo, It'll draw an even more bigger audience from San Francisco besides those from the bible belt.

"And the leper places his brow against that of Julien and his mouth as well is against Julien's mouth"

:)

Interesting read, Thanks for sharing.

Too much altruism for my liking. It least it shows YAHWEH at his best protecting his flock. (not really)

Where does it mention that "the lady of the castle lost her husband to battle" If you don't mind.

Don't forget to show this scene with Johnny Depp on the promo, It'll draw an even more bigger audience from San Francisco besides those from the bible belt.

"And the leper places his brow against that of Julien and his mouth as well is against Julien's mouth"

:)

Wow, somebody actually read it!  Yes, full of altruism.  And lots of drama.

Been years, so I'm vague, but didn't one of those castles have the lady and the castle headman, no husband?  I thought that was the same castle as when Julien showed up with that log and saved the day.  Someplace it's suggested that the enemy leader, if he'd won the battle, takes the castle, and the lady.  Like I say, it's been awhile, I may be blending stuff together.  

And yes, I didn't mention that intentionally, the leper kiss.  I told you it was intense.  How'd you do with the master bedroom scene with the shutters blocking enough light to see well?

Wow, somebody actually read it!  Yes, full of altruism.  And lots of drama.

Been years, so I'm vague, but didn't one of those castles have the lady and the castle headman, no husband?  I thought that was the same castle as when Julien showed up with that log and saved the day.  Someplace it's suggested that the enemy leader, if he'd won the battle, takes the castle, and the lady.  Like I say, it's been awhile, I may be blending stuff together.  

And yes, I didn't mention that intentionally, the leper kiss.  I told you it was intense.  How'd you do with the master bedroom scene with the shutters blocking enough light to see well?

Right, the last castle has the lady an the castellan. but I didn't pickup anything about a husband.  The enemy leader wants the lady, and she was willing as long as he converted to Christianity. the castellan is Julian's host and Julian asks him if he can go to battle with them, but he was dismissed for his appearance. That's when he arms himself with a log and goes to battle, in battle he picks up armor and weapons.

The bedroom action I thought is was unwarranted, I say that because Julian to this point has no real reasons to do what he did. People around him are honest and good towards him. If he had been tricked and lied to before he would have had reasons. For example had there been some physical attraction between the enemy leader and the lady, and Julian had seen the leader's horse in the castle. etc.

This is a theme that you see throughout the story, people Julian interacts with are good and honest. I could see turning this around a bit and have those people stab him on the back somehow...it would have been more dramatic.

Example, castellan wanting to cover than a beggar saved him, could have claimed Julian attacked them while alone in the room, his savior took off and could have locked Julian on the dungeon. I don't know, But a little back stabbing towards Julian, if you know what I mean.

But the story is good. I can see what you mean about a movie, But the ending is tricky once you get passed the bedroom. If they can make a movie about Noah (haven't seen it) why not this one.  :)

Right, the last castle has the lady an the castellan. but I didn't pickup anything about a husband.  The enemy leader wants the lady, and she was willing as long as he converted to Christianity. the castellan is Julian's host and Julian asks him if he can go to battle with them, but he was dismissed for his appearance. That's when he arms himself with a log and goes to battle, in battle he picks up armor and weapons.

The bedroom action I thought is was unwarranted, I say that because Julian to this point has no real reasons to do what he did. People around him are honest and good towards him. If he had been tricked and lied to before he would have had reasons. For example had there been some physical attraction between the enemy leader and the lady, and Julian had seen the leader's horse in the castle. etc.

This is a theme that you see throughout the story, people Julian interacts with are good and honest. I could see turning this around a bit and have those people stab him on the back somehow...it would have been more dramatic.

Example, castellan wanting to cover than a beggar saved him, could have claimed Julian attacked them while alone in the room, his savior took off and could have locked Julian on the dungeon. I don't know, But a little back stabbing towards Julian, if you know what I mean.

But the story is good. I can see what you mean about a movie, But the ending is tricky once you get passed the bedroom. If they can make a movie about Noah (haven't seen it) why not this one.  :)

One thing I see is that I've forgotten some details, might have a go at it again.  But like a movie, parts stick with me and that's okay (Luke and Leia and a whole bunch of stormtroopers!  And sky castles!).  Julien makes some really stupid decisions.  The beast with the head, and the bedroom scene stand out.  He's young and full of himself; so is part of this story's audience.

>>SPOILER ALERT<<

The leper part is the ending, so if you think you'll read it, I'll put a blank space here to scroll past.

la la

la la

lala

la la la

lalala

lala

here we are again.

The leper is God in another form.  (I use God = perfect knowledge and compassion; i.e. philosophy)  

Philosophical point:  The grotesque may be holy, and the beautiful may be devilish (MGTOW).  Now, isn't that something to teach in early years?  This is very apt re viewing homeless people who are looking quite necessarily a bit rough.  (I recall a guy with more than one Porsche telling a homeless guy to get a job; this is right after the 2008 crash.)

Both Julien and his wife (aaarg, what's her name?) are tested, rather a lot, for compassion.  Julien, now a boatman at a trail crossing, hears a pitiful wail during an awful storm.  He braves the churning water to rescue the pitiful figure, and bring him into the hovel they call home.  

The leper is frozen and hungry, and no matter how long by the fire, or how much Quaker Oatmeal and Jimmy Dean sausages they feed him (in theater, this is called "modern dress") he doesn't warm or fill.

But the leper thinks that Julien's wife might warm him.  (Ever had a house guest like that?)

She agrees, but turns away briefly to talk with Julien, and in that instant, the leper vanishes.  He is replaced by the Voice Of God outside the door, saying that they passed the test and are forgiven of sin.  (Julien committed some whoppers, which is what the story is all about.)

Now, consider this thread by Utopian (cap U for readability).  Philosophy makes me unhappy. I can no longer justify it.

Is Utopian kissing the leper?  (For that matter, are the rest of us doing so?)

(I note that this is a document for the masses; if something is in it, it's massively present in the population.)

Getting blessed by God (truth) doesn't make the bedbugs go away.  In fact, Julien and his wife are later murdered in a robbery attempt.  But between the leper and the robbers, they feel better about things.

I'm also reminded of Steve McQueen as Papillon.  As part of his first escape, he depends upon the help of a leper colony, and takes a puff from a cigar that a leper is smoking.  Similar to Julien, it's a huge act of faith.  I don't think leprosy is spread by contact, and I'm not looking it up, since Julien and Papillon had only imperfect common knowledge.  Both J and P had to believe in something beyond the ugly.  This strikes me as analogous to Utopian's dilemma.  

In that bedroom scene, the main characters appear to be:

-- two people in the bed (no spoiler names!)

-- the bed

-- Julien

-- his sword

But which is the major actor?  The window shutters.  Open just a bit.  Not enough light to see the reality; just enough poor light to imagine a false reality.  Sound like a philosophy item?

And why the disaster to begin with, besides Julien being what today we call a real asshole?  dsayers would've been on this; he'd post a person at each entrance, not just the main one.  Julien, unusually, came in through a side door.  He didn't get the message, "guess who is surprise visiting, and now resting in your bed?"  Oops.  That goof can be seen both as a security issue, and also a knowledge/philosophy issue.

The leper is God in another form.  (I use God = perfect knowledge and compassion; i.e. philosophy)  

I sort of see what you are saying and it is indeed tempting to think of the story that way, But given the religious message in it I think that the actions/decisions are happening in the moment, with no analysis of prior or future actions that made the situations come about.

By this I mean that religion and current society want you to look at the moment and make a decision. This manipulation plays on people’s emotions rather than rationality.

“The grotesque MAY be holy, and the beautiful MAY be devilish”. Sure! do not discard the ugly for its looks or embrace the beautiful for its looks, But it does not mean embrace the ugly because it is ugly either. This is what we see on the story. They embrace the leper because he is ugly and needy with complete disregard for their own safety. This self-sacrifice and altruism is the message that I see here and the message that religion and society wants people to embrace.

The leper cannot be philosophy, the leper is blind fate. Philosophy does not teach you to self-sacrifice, to give yourself and those you love to be consumed by society.

Just like your story of the homeless and the Porsche driver. Again, this is looking at the snapshot of the moment. A man down on his luck and a man blessed with wealth that can’t spare a dime. How about how the homeless is where he is? What is he doing to dig himself out of the hole? Why not have a sign “I work for food” and instead of asking for money asking if the man needed work done? Raking leaves, checking the tire pressure, anything!. If he had honestly said “Listen, I don’t want you to give me money, I want to earn it, etc” Don’t you think that the driver at this point would have said, “I don’t need any work done man, but I appreciate your effort, here please take this”

Julian spends his life not passing tests in compassion but self-sacrificing himself and later his wife to society. He put his life on the line by waging wars for others. To the story credit those that he helps “in the wars” or in the castle” do reciprocate his deeds. But instead of surrounding himself of those that appreciate him he chooses to self-sacrifice to those that offer him little in return.

He lives in borderline poverty at the end of the story and does not have anyone to even defend him and his wife from the robbers that ultimately kill them. Had the border crossing been turned into a castle and sanctuary full of those that he had helped then it would have been a different story. But he has nothing to show for at the end. He blindly marched on towards his death with little regard for himself and his wife.

I keep asking myself, if this a story that someone like Ayn Rand would have written?

You make many good points.  Yes, he does end up destitute, but for awhile he was sitting pretty from his work; a shipwreck killed that, and he had to fight his way back up again.  Yeah, I think I'd hoist the leper over my back or bring a big sack or something.  

In a way tho', I think there is always analysis.  Recall, this is for a peasant audience, they hadn't been exposed to FDR for a few centuries yet.  The big disasters, beast and parents, were emotionally caused.  The big lesson is make sure what you're doing, think about it, don't act on impulse.  The bedroom shutters, open only a crack, are a superb learning metaphor about getting more light on a topic before making conclusions.

The Porsche thing wasn't that type of set-up, it was more an off-hand remark.  Valid points re cash for car tending, yet begging how possible that even is at a practical level.  But your point is, what can a person in a low point do about it?  Julien did the only thing he knew, force of arms.  And later, renounced all that, setting up a free, non-state, shelter for any traveller.  It was not a border crossing just a stream, yet to build a castle at all requires a heck of a lot more than inspiration.  Like, the need for a state of some kind to even order it up.  So, perhaps we do see Julien doing quite a bit of analysis.  The peasants aren't gonna follow a detailed step by step, just the fouls and home runs.

Yes, it's my spin to call the leper philosophy here, but not far off the original intention.  Is the leper blind fate?  -- well, isn't that what all of us are constantly dealing with?  Jerks, gubberments, car crashes -- how do you handle it?  In the story, the leper is distinctly a creation of God...as are all...which is created on that stormy night, purely as a test.  An opportunity, if viewed that way. These people make decisions all the way, and they (mostly Julien) go from impulsive and violent, to methodical and caring.  That right there could be considered a nutshell summary of why FDR exists.

I think all of us -- including George Carlin's material -- are wary of the Church in it's various forms that we've encountered, the heavy handed types of slaughter.  I do get that a major selling point to the people is that if you screw up, going to be a soldier in the east makes it okay, gotta notice that one.

In other ways, I don't see that.  When Julien's horse showed up at the market, it was the emotional that almost killed, and reason that saved the situation.  In the bedroom scene, emotion and reason had a contest in Julien, and emotion won.  And to be honest, fighting turks in the east was very much about turks not coming over later for dinner and raping and killing for dessert.  Julien in his hovel is threatened by robbers, but isn't a castle by it's very nature always threatened by other types of robbers, robbers with armies?

This story reminds me of "A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." and the similarities with Oedipus the King by Sophocles are hard to ignore. 

with that said, think of the "big lesson" you talk about. It is hard for me to agree that the lesson is "make sure what you're doing, think about it, don't act on impulse" because the title of this story is "The life of St.Julian..." and the lesson seems more to me to be "give yourself to others no matter your sins and you can be a Saint too". Unlike Oedipus which is a Greek tragedy and he pays for his mistakes and in the end he takes his owns eyes out and begs to be exiled. The lesson being closer to that you mention. No need to have FDR or non peasants to teach this lesson since this play dates back to 429BC. We see the opposite with Julian "no matter how bad it gets don't give up and self-sacrifice because you will enter the kingdom of God"

My point with the "castle" at the crossing was to show a way in which people he helped helping him back, and that all his sacrifices paid off with people building him some sort of structure and volunteer themselves. it should have been a thriving community of volunteers. etc. but we don't see any of that to justify the self-sacrifice.

Julian spends his life relaying in blind fate. first on the battlefield. fighting with a stick and no armor, risking his life by becoming a beggar. then at the crossing, with the leper. etc. What rational people do  is more like "calculated risks" I drive at the speed limit, wear my seat belt etc. If I acted like Julian I would get on a scooter at max speed and would not stop at red light or stop signs, not wear a helmet....

The lesson of the market can also be "rulers can be persuaded by the masses" because it wasn't reason and evidence, It was the fact that all the merchants held the buyer of the horse in high esteem. if it weren't for the other merchants vouching for him he would have been dead.

the bedroom I can agree with you, but we don't see any real consequences for this terrible act he committed he becomes a Saint afterwards. Fighting the Turks would be less of a self sacrifice and more about stopping the Turks from invading if he instead of going into Berserk God Mode had used his brain like in the Trojan horse story and defeated the Turks with intelligence. You mention the castle on your last sentence and I explained the idea of having a thriving community at the crossing and not being all alone and defenseless.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.