Greetings from the land of 10,000 lakes!

Soul Sojourner

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this board (obviously), but far from new to discussion boards as a whole. I've only been using Social Media actively since about mid-2014. Before that, it was all boards like this one. I felt pressure to join social media due to discussion boards dying out. Most surviving and thriving boards did/do so because of something or someone. In this case, Stefan, and in others, a video game or a movie, whatever site the board was tied to. I was a fan of "general discussion boards" where there wasn't anything specific that they were tied to, and I could be free to discuss all manner of topics. I feel like this is basically that, in a nutshell. Even though the board is tied to Freedomain Radio, it still fits because FDR is about the very things I look for in a discussion board. I consider that a win/win.

My profile should cover any basic info about me pretty well. 

I hope to meet some unique people here and to experience some personal growth together.

I also love any opportunity to expand my knowledge, especially on subjects that intrigue me, and to scratch that insatiable curiosity itch.  :)

Heya SS!  :Welcome:

I swear I've seen your alias around a while, somewhere... Do you post in the YouTube comment sections?

How'd you come across the show, and what made you want to come back for more? There are a ton of topics the show covers – which are the ones that scratch your curiosity itches?

I'm always surprised at the answer to these questions, and I think it gets a lot of information across about a person.

For me, I was looking up logical proofs for anarchism after Ron Paul's campaign fizzled out and came across Stef's work. He was entertaining and what he said made sense, so I kept watching. I was really interested in anarchism at first, but then slowly became more interested in the self knowledge topics and psychology. I'm pretty much a slut for philosophy, though. I enjoy all of it, pretty much.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I post in the Youtube comments sections occasionally. Soul Sojourner was originally supposed to be my pseudonym. I actually took it from an alliteration in the couplet of one of the older Shakespearean style sonnets that I wrote in highschool.

I actually came across the show in a roundabout way. I was looking up how other people got through their addiction to video games. Kind of funny, I know, but it's been a hard habit to break. I found a blog post I was reading on the subject, and if I recall correctly, the topic linked to a video on Youtube where Stefan talked about addiction. I watched the video and was blown away; I felt like he described addiction perfectly. Putting it in a way I wouldn't have struggled to put it, and even informing me of a few things I didn't know. After that, I made a large Facebook post on addiction. That's the kind of Facebooker I am, large posts and comments; people who matter read them and people who don't skip them, typically. I've been accused of "writing a book" far too many times. It's actually a little depressing how little most people can stand reading these days. 

As for the show topics, absolutely all of them. The ones that usually get put off the longest are political ones, but I watch those too. Are there specific topics on the show that pique your interests, or just some more than others? 

Indeed. That's what questions are for.

That's awesome. I've always been into philosophy, at least, as far back as I can remember until the point where I was so young that mostly all that concerned me was video games and sweets. Ha. But even back in highschool, I spent hours researching various topics and debating people on discussion boards (not always properly, mind you). I've researched great philosophical subjects just as well as I've researched the more odd subjects in life. Like hair conditioning, or the female period. I remember researching both of those at one point. Hahaha, but then I also research things like string theory and mental illnesses.

I've been fascinated with the idea of a free society since I was old enough to think for myself. I always stood separate from my peers because of it, because they just didn't think like me (in general, not just about a free society), and vice-versa. I had a group of friends and the idea of making a sort of club where we actively gathered information and pursued ideas that would help promote freedom in the world. At the very least, spread information and ideas on the subject. A big task for a couple of teenagers, but I thought big. My friends weren't into it nearly as much as I was though, so it ultimately led nowhere. I remember calling the group Ama-Gi Society. Ama-Gi is supposed to be the earliest known word in ancient Sumerian cuneiform for freedom. I don't know if that's accurate anymore, that it's still the earliest known; I wouldn't be surprised if others have been discovered in the last decade. 

I also made a website for it, and a discussion board (of course), but it ultimately died out to social media. Most of my members were former members of another board that I ran off a free board-hosting site. However, I don't advertise or share the site anymore because it pretty much just sits there, and I hate doing website work. Besides that, I'm still not really sure what to do with the site.

Despite all of my curiosity and thirst for knowledge, however, I always feel continuously stuck in not really knowing what to do with it. Mostly because, I've never found anything I can make a living off of and still do what I love. For some people, that's okay, for me, it drives me insane. At this time I'm learning my father's trade (furrier), and although it is quite interesting, it's not something I'm passionate about. So I'm still stuck in that struggle.

In terms of ideas that really get me excited, the one that stands out most is the 16 personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test. I'm an INTP (with balanced F and T traits, my T is usually about 3-5% over my F, so I relate to the INFP pretty well too, but I know by default I'm an INTP without a doubt). The test and the types have brought a lot of perspective to my life, and when I originally discovered the topic, I was ecstatic and relieved to have something describe me so well. I didn't feel as alone in the world after that, you can imagine.

I've plenty more I can prattle on about, but I'll stop it here so that maybe we can get a back and forth going, I don't want to completely overwhelm you with information with no chance to reply. :)

• Upvote 1

Video game addiction. That's a new one. How interesting :)

As far as topics go for me, it's whatever seems most relevant to me at the time. Romantic relationships is my new favorite topic because of it's relevancy.

INTP here as well! The ESXX crowd can frustrate me a bit at times. :/

Your story is a little like mine, although I was definitely a hardcore statist / communist about the time that you were an anarchist.

Feel free to share whatever you think is worth sharing. I'll be reading it.

In any event, I'll see you around the boards and look forward to exchanging ideas :)

Yeah, some people think it's ridiculous, but the truth is, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or any of that shit, so video games are my only vice. While there isn't anything inherently wrong with playing video games, I have lost a lot of time that I could have used on something productive. I remember reading the phrase "it either affects your life, or it doesn't." Seeing as I have canceled plans and appointments, rushed when away from home, stayed up hours on end, deprived myself of sleep despite needing it for work countless times, missed work entirely, made excuses, etc. etc. in order to play video games in the past, I'd say it affects my life. I am much better than I used to be, but I still have a problem even today.

Relationships are always a topic of interest, romantic or otherwise.

My father is an ESTJ, trust me, I understand. I can connect with Feeling types pretty well despite being an INTP, but I still loathe irrational behavior. My biggest struggle is with judging types, and getting over my own flaws as a prospector. Like maintaining anything or keeping a clean house. Being that my fiance is also a prospector, procrastination is a challenge for both of us.

Indeed. I will be lurking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.