Hello from North Dakota!

Will 001

Hi! I've been on the board for a while, but let me properly introduce myself.

My name is Will. I'm a 23 year old living in ND. I used to be an aspiring composer. I spent 3 years studying music and piano before realizing that those things aren't important to the world, and dropping out.  I had almost no formal training in piano or composition before college because my father is a narcissist who doesn't like it when others are competent at things. (I wasn't allowed to have a piano teacher) I'm proud of what I managed to do in spite of that. (I hope you don't mind me bragging a little) A piece I wrote at 15 or 16 with no training in composition, is attached: Wind Ensemble Score 24.mp3. It's a little disorganized, but I still like it. I'm an autodidact, as you can tell.

My job is stocking shelves at Walmart. That doesn't sound dignified, but I get over $18/hr, because I'm in an oil boom town. I've been on sick leave for about 5 months after collapsing a couple of times. I have episodes of weakness, and I still don't know the cause. Fortunately, I became wealthy in the recent cryptocurrency explosion- just in time to lose my income :) . I'm interested in pursuing journalism/activism, and I might work on a youtube channel. I could use my musical skills to help it grow. I have a lot to learn though.

An excerpt from a Schubert impromptu:

• 3 weeks later...

What type of journalism/activism do you want to do? Going to go Michael Moore film style or more just commentary like what Stef does?

Your score was great. I could definitely see it as the cover of some action movie or video game. 

On 1/10/2018 at 11:02 PM, Will 001 said:

before realizing that those things aren't important to the world

What!? A lot of people, including me, love music. Who the heck is someone to say that something is not important? You obviously have some sort of gift, and with work might do well. Did you stop liking music? Did someone tell you, you suck at it? Or, are you just bad at it? Or do you not see it as a career but maybe a hobby? There are a lot of people who like music and make it apart of their life. Nice piano playing btw!

52 minutes ago, gavstone21 said:

What!? A lot of people, including me, love music. Who the heck is someone to say that something is not important? You obviously have some sort of gift, and with work might do well.

Maybe he changed his mind about it, and there's nothing wrong with that. There was a time when I was into the saxophone, but I gradually lost interest in that. People change their minds about a lot of things throughout their lives. Haven't you? Most people aren't the same way their whole lives. 

54 minutes ago, S1988 said:

Maybe he changed his mind about it, and there's nothing wrong with that. There was a time when I was into the saxophone, but I gradually lost interest in that. People change their minds about a lot of things throughout their lives. Haven't you? Most people aren't the same way their whole lives. 

Yes, thats why I asked if he lost interest. What he did say, is not that he does not like it anymore, but that it is not important to the world. I am not assuming very much, which is why asked those questions; but I wanted to get clarification on why he quit. His cited reason was that it is not important to the world, but to me at least, that does not seem very true. But my interpretation could be wrong; he could have indeed just lost interest, and by the world losing interest, he actually meant he was the one losing interest. 

I play the sax too! I have indeed been slowly losing interest. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 9:50 AM, gavstone21 said:

What type of journalism/activism do you want to do? Going to go Michael Moore film style or more just commentary like what Stef does?

I'd like to try different things to find out what I'm best at. There's so much I need to learn about history, philosophy, economics, writing, persuasion, and other things. In the meantime, I could do on the ground reporting, and use my piano/composition skills to help grow a hybrid commentary channel. There are so many commentators with much more knowledge than me, so I need a way to stand out. If I try to talk to Antifa and they punch me, that would draw attention. Maybe I could interview abuse victims of transgender ideology. Many kids have been prescribed puberty-blocking drugs. I haven't seen any reporting on the ones who changed their minds later. When few people are telling the truth about something, anybody can stand out simply by speaking it. 

On 1/28/2018 at 9:50 AM, gavstone21 said:

What!? A lot of people, including me, love music. Who the heck is someone to say that something is not important? You obviously have some sort of gift, and with work might do well. Did you stop liking music? Did someone tell you, you suck at it? Or, are you just bad at it? Or do you not see it as a career but maybe a hobby? There are a lot of people who like music and make it apart of their life.

I'm still pursuing music, just not as my main purpose in life. FDR helped me fully understand that there are evil forces in the world. After that, my musical aspirations seemed insignificant. There is no shortage of great musicians. After all, we live in the digital age and every artist can be mass distributed. Any impact my music could have on the world is nothing compared what I could do by using my creativity to help solve real problems. Before, I wanted to be a professional composer, which would have required my full dedication. I'm sure I would have regretted that path. I'd have to watch from the sidelines as evil people wreak havoc on society. I know I have creativity and intelligence for more than just music. I don't want to squander it.

EDIT: I believe art, including music, is important. However, I  think music is a relatively unimportant purpose compared to fighting problems that may cause suffering on an unimaginable scale. Marxism has killed over 100 million, and it is alive and well.

As a novelist I strongly recommend going into piano playing even if you think it isn't really much in terms of political effect. The least you'll do is stimulate the ears and minds of those brave crusaders for truth and that's far more than most. Don't sell yourself short. 

Of course FYI I love honest bragging (i.e. it's not really bragging because it's true!) so don't be afraid to sell yourself highly as well.

In my case I'm a ways to go but I think I'm making great progress. Especially for a 19 year old competing with Generation Z-ers who are blowing their future incomes away at College or in the hookah den.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.